The Thumb Files (Shae's Video Blog)

Monday, July 23, 2007

Turbulance in My Purpose

Okay, so I'm really trying to make each of my lessons count, but lately, I don't feel very effective. The teachers don't seem interested in or won over by the methods I'm teaching them. Sometimes I doubt if these techniques are really effective after all, or worthwhile to anyone but me. Then I remember how much my students have enjoyed the lessons, and how much I myself have, and I realize I need to find a way to make these teachers feel the same joy in my workshops with them. Maybe it's because I haven't sparked their interest yet. I need to find out what works for them, or what makes them feel comfortable.

Today I tried some exercises more to do with the subjects they may be able to use Drama to reinforce, such as reading stories, and there was some more interest than usual. But because most of today was experimental, and I was still feeling woozy on medication, I felt unprepared, which I'm sure spilled out into my lesson in the scattered way it was conducted. When lessons aren't communicated with confidence and clarity, it doesn't matter how valuable the knowledge it--the lesson won't be effective. That's what I'm coming to realize, anyway.

Still, there were some very good experiences, and I think I know where to focus next time. I'll just repeat the lesson on Friday when I'm fully aware and cognizant.

Later that night, I went shopping with all my roomies (mis compañeras) to buy groceries and food for the missionaries tomorrow night. I left them a message, but am not sure they got it. Estuardo said he could join us for dinner, so hopefully they'll still be able to come.

I'm really having fun with my roomies, but I am very aware of attitudes that sometimes crop up in my heart. For instance, I'm encountering a LOT of selfish feelings. I think their generosity is making me more acutely aware of them, as are situations which challenge my trust and generosity. This trip has been so good for me. I just hope I can continue to monitor and repent of these things when I'm back in my comfort zone in America.

No comments: