The Thumb Files (Shae's Video Blog)

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

To the Canopy Tour, and Beyond!

Once again, I’m learning how much more I need to trust God one day at a time. Today, I had a 100 quetzale bill left (worth about $13), with an extra 6 quetzales in change. We got to our first destination that morning after a 30 minute van-ride into the countryside of Peten: the Mono Canopy Tour. Unfortunately, (communication again), they didn’t take credit card as we had believed. The cost normally was 150 quetzales, and we were about 30 minutes or more from any ATM, plus the cost of the taxi (80 quetzales). We wouldn't have time to go pull out more cash from an ATM, so the manager of the tour graciously offered to give me the ride for only 100 quetzales, seeing as how it was early, and I was the only customer. The only problem with that offer was that it left Anghel and me without money for transportation. We'd be stuck out in the middle of farmland with only my 4 quetzales and Anghel's 6. "You take the ride," Anghel urged me with a grin. "We can make it with 10 quetzales." "Are you sure?" I'm sure he heard the skepticism in my voice. I understood enough Spanish to know that the man had told him it would cost about 40 quetzales each to get to the city we needed to go afterwards. "Sure, sure, go have fun!" Just trust. "Okay...thanks, Anghel. Here we go!" I got to zip-line through the forest of Peten on this great canopy tour! I love this sort of thing. Nature and the beauty of God’s creation always make me feel awe and wonder. I'm so grateful for Anghel's confidence as a tour-guide. I couldn't have done all this without him. So, you're probably wondering what happened after my tour. Well, the first van that passed us on the road was willing to take us into the city we needed, so we could pull out money from an ATM and pay him. Great! Easier than pie...or pan. We waited a couple hours for the next long bus-ride (about 3 and a half hours) into our next destination. Surprisingly, we were late again, arriving in Rio Dulce at about 4pm. Not to worry: we were able to find a final boat heading for Livingston (which one can only reach by water), and enjoyed our own private lancha ride through the peaceful river waters of... Wait a minute...what's that? Hay tormenta! A storm's a'comin'! Thank goodness I had my water-proof clothes handy. And not a moment too soon. That thing came up quick! I wish you could have been there to hear how loud the thunder was, and how bright the streaks of lightning stabbing from the heavens into the water below. What an experience! Those water drops were fat and heavy, too. Okay, we're through the storm, and are now enjoying a smooth ride across the scenic shores of the river. Oooh...ahh... After the storm broke, we saw an incredible feat of fishing! Check it out! If you thought the surprises were over, you haven't learned your lesson yet. ;) Once we got to Livingston, the storm we had escaped following close on our heels, we discovered that there was absolutely, positively no electricity. We arrived just as the sun was setting, at about 6pm. I hear the nightlife in Livingston is completely different than in waking hours. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I never got to confirm this rumor. After an impromptu dinner of frijoles, eggs, and bread we were able to cook over a gas stove, Anghel, Diana (our gracious host and local hotel owner, who incidentally is studying the Bible to become a disciple), and I strolled the black streets of Livingston to accompanying peals of thunder and lightening. Thanks to the humidity here, as was in Peten, I enjoyed the enchanting sparkle of fireflies along our walk, which will continue to be a special memory for me. Once we got to the main street, there were shops with power (thanks to their back-up generators), and one restaurant had a live band playing a typical kind of island music, though with a distinct latin flavor. I guess that's a piece of the night life I've heard about. We walked another half hour back to the hotel once we finished meandering, and I gratefully took a shower (cold, of course), and plopped into bed. Sweet dreams!

No comments: