The Thumb Files (Shae's Video Blog)

Saturday, August 11, 2007

North Carolina Group Arrives!

Estuardo picked me up around 8am, and we headed to the church office with a couple of teen disciples. Today, the youth ministries would be cleaning and painting the children’s ministry classrooms. I helped at Comenzano (Betsy King) to prepare lunch for all the North Carolina disciples that would be coming in later that day (about 22 of them). They would be staying for a week to do construction on the HOPE school and then take a few days to be tourists.

I helped in the kitchen, and as soon as they didn’t need me, headed down to help clean the children’s classes. It was great, listening to the radio (they play a lot of my favorite American songs out here in Guatemala) and cleaning to the upbeat rhythms and familiar tunes.

Then the American disciples arrived, and it was back to Comenzano to help. It was fun to feel at home in the kitchen, and then serve the disciples from America as if I were a native Guatemalan. I was even able to help translate some Spanish for them. Hearing all the gringo accents made me remember my first few days in Guatemala, and how I must have seemed to everyone. I suddenly realized how much I had learned in the past 5 and a half weeks, and felt very grateful for the experiences I’ve had.

After serving lunch and having some myself, they sorted the disciples to various homes they’d be staying in for the first night. We had a teen named Jill (14 years old!) stay with us, and I don’t think I ever felt more aware of my age. It still shocks me when I realize I’m not the youngest person in a group anymore.

Once everyone found their host-homes, the roomies and I headed to another disciples home, where we had a fantastic dinner prepared for us while we toured a local fair (faria) together. It was great. Gelion and Quincho helped explain different Guatemalan facts to the group. Gelion bought some unique candies for everyone to try, and I got to talk to various brothers and sisters from the North Carlina church. It still feels funny when they ask me to help translate, but I like being able to help. We stopped to throw some baskets to try to win a prize, and three girls from the group won something. I was one of them! Woohoo! Poor brothers…hehehe. Looks like the girly, granny shot is the best one for rigged fair-games.

After a few rounds on the bumper cars, (my first time driving in Guatemala!), we rode down a huge slide on gunny sacks. Good times! Gelion and Quincho kept saying what a big kid I was. “Sí…y que!” Hehehe, that’s my trademark saying out here.

Anyway, we walked back home at around 8:30pm, then told some horribly corny jokes to pass the time until dinner was served. We were all hungry by then, so were very grateful when the carne, bread, beans, and Guatemalan salad was served. Mmm mmm mmm…so good.

Jill and I arranged to share a little time with God tomorrow, and got to bed fairly quickly, as tired as we were.

Hasta mañana.

No comments: