The Thumb Files (Shae's Video Blog)

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Running and Babysitting in Guatemala

Today was the great race for HOPE Worldwide. Well, it was only 5k's, but the jog definitely made me remember how much more I need to exercise. Gelion (the brother I met at the wedding) came and picked up Elizabeth and I at 7 am, and even supplied us with some Gatorade. I regretted drinking it all when I then had to answer the call of nature after we'd parked. Gelion and I ran to a nearby McDonalds and made it back a few minutes before the race started. Luckily, they gave the women a few minutes' head start (so I finished somewhere in the middle of everyone), and they supplied us with Have you ever wondered why we call babysitting, "babysitting"? The oddity occurred to me again when I tried explaining the term to Evelyn, whom I'd be helping watch her friend's children for the evening. Well, after a good service at church, we headed to watch the rug-rats, and had a pretty good time, though I was feeling extremely low on energy. It was pure self-denial to play games with the kids and try to understand what they were rapidly trying to communicate with me.

No comments: